What you should know when flying drones in Mallorca

Flying drones in Mallorca has become very fashionable in recent times. Mallorca has become a coveted film set for those wishing to capture the beauty of this idyllic location.

But beyond the impressive photos and videos with the drone that you surely know you can get on this island, I would like to give you some recommendations that you should put into practice before flying your drone in Mallorca.

In order for you to fly calmly and normally in the largest of the Balearic Islands, I will tell you a little about the current drone regulations in Spain, as there is a legal framework that you need to be aware of in order to fly with safe and within the law both for Mallorca and the rest of Spain; and restricted areas.

Aerial and ground photography

General drone regulations in Spain

As far as the legal framework is concerned, the State Aviation Safety Agency (AESA) is the body in charge of establishing regulations for the use of drones in Spain.

These regulations are set out in Royal Decree 1036/2017, which establishes the operating conditions applicable to drones.

Before flying your drone in Mallorca (and this also applies to anywhere in Spain) you need to know what the requirements are for flying a drone in Spain, which I will summarise below:

  • Registration of the drone with AESA and correct drone operator registration if required.
  • Pilot’s license, essential depending on the type of drone you fly and the type of operation.
  • Liability insurance to cover damages to third parties. Coverdrone is the most economical drone insurance I have found for both recreational and professional drones.
  • Knowing the flight rules
  • To understand the ENAIRE map in order to know the different existing flight zones.

Restricted flying areas in Mallorca

Once you are clear about the requirements to fly a drone, the next step is to check the area where you want to operate (fly) on the Enaire Drones map. If you don’t know how to use it, in my article about where you can fly a drone in the Spanish territory I tell you about it.

Enaire drones flight zones map

When checking the area where you are going to develop the activity, you will find yourself either in a “grey zone” (free for drone flight), or you will encounter other scenarios. Scenarios that may include the following:

Airports, aerodromes, heliports and microlight safety areas

To fly in one that is under the domains of the safety radius of a airportor, in other words, in a CTR zone (controlled traffic region), you will need to comply with a number of the documentation I talk about in my article “requirements for flying a drone” and “requirements for flying a drone”.where to fly a drone in Spain“.

To fly in the aerodromes it will be enough with a coordination, firstly, written through documents that the aerodromes themselves have prepared, and the day of the flight, through email or phone call to let you know that you are ready to start with the operation.

The contact telephone numbers for the aerodrome can be found in the pop-up box that opens on the left-hand side of the Enaire map when you click on the area marked with a red circle.

You will be informed in advance by the aerodrome. In Mallorca you will find 3 airfields:

  • Manacor Aerodrome (Petra-Pep Mercader)
  • Pollença Military Aerodrome
  • Binissalem Aerodrome
  • Heliport of the Hospital of Inca
  • Heliport of the Hospital of Son Espases
  • Llucmajor microlight safety area
  • Ses Salines microlight safety area

Protected Natural Areas

Mallorca has several protected natural areas, such as the Natural Park of s’Albufera, the Es Trenc salt flats in Campos, or the Sierra de Tramuntana. In these areas, drone flight is restricted and controlled to protect biodiversity and avoid possible disturbance to the wildlife that inhabits them.

To fly in an ENP, regardless of the weight of your drone, you must:

  1. Requesting a flight permit through an application through registration and it will take no less than 30 working days to be resolved, so if you want to fly in an ENP, I recommend you to plan your flight with time.
  2. You will need to submit an application for activities in protected natural areas.
  3. A general model of declaration of good practices in natural protected areas (ENP).
  4. Flight plan.

Finally, you must submit all the required documentation by registration.

If you do not have any flight ban, you will most likely be granted the flight, being free for recreational flights, and paid for professional flights.

ZEPA Areas

Drone flights for personal use and recreational purposes are prohibited in SPAs managed by the General State Administration.

So you can only fly in ZEPA areas if your flights:

  1. Tienen una finalidad comercial y no destinados a la investigación o filmación de especies de fauna marina:
    • Duly justify the flight by stating the purpose of the flight
    • Responsible declarations must be submitted prior to the flight and filed through the registry.
    • Only 10 flights are allowed within a calendar year per pilot. If you have to carry out more than 10 flights and/or in any of the sensitive areas, you must request at least 1 month before the activity a report on the effects on the Red Natura 2000 and also submit it by register.
  2. Destinados a la investigación o a la filmación de la fauna marina

Here you can consult the criteria for the flight of drones in marine ZEPA under state jurisdiction and for any questions you can write to them at bzn-espaciosmarinos@miteco.es.

Photographic flight restricted areas (PFRZ)

These areas are more common in the area of the Sierra de Tramuntana, and less, but increasingly in some areas of central Mallorca. They are marked with a yellow rectangle on the Enaire drones map.


NOTAMs (notice to airmen or mission) are also frequent, mostly of a military nature for flight practice and also for particular airspace reservations. In my experience, where I have encountered them the most has been in the Formentor area, near the Faro de Formentor area.

Recommended areas for flying in Mallorca

Remember to check the possible flight restrictions on the Enaire Drones map.

  • Sierra de Tramuntana: Aunque parte de esta zona está protegida (ya te he comentado cómo proceder), hay áreas donde el vuelo está permitido. Es esencial consultar mapas específicos y siempre volar con precaución.
    • Cap de Formentor
    • Es Colomer Viewpoint
    • Sa Calobra
  • Atardeceres:
    • El Toro
    • Sant Elm, in Andratx, in front of the Dragonera island.
    • Sa Foradada
    • Puig de Santa Magdalena
    • Cabo Blanco Lighthouse
  • Beaches and coves: While many popular beaches can be crowded, there are lesser-known coves that allow for spectacular catches. It is always vital to fly early or late in the day to avoid crowds, and on summer days to avoid the harsh light of the middle of the day.
    The beaches in the east of Mallorca are usually free of restrictions.

Privacy and respect for residents

It is easy to fly a drone in towns and villages in Mallorca if you have a drone under 250 grams, as these are drones that can be flown without a licence. Even if you can fly without the need for permits and licences in these environments, you must be clear about the rules and restrictions for flying a drone, because it also has them.

Drone flying must not invade people’s privacy. It is illegal and unethical to fly over private property or to film people without their consent.

General recommendations

  • Planning: Before flying, research the area, consult maps and check weather conditions. An interesting app for this is UAV Forecast or Windy.
  • Batteries and equipment: Mallorca has several areas where electricity is not easily accessible. If you plan to fly in remote areas, take extra batteries and make sure all your equipment is in perfect condition.
  • Contacting the local authorities: If you have any doubts about where you can fly, it is advisable to contact the local authorities or the EASA delegation in the Balearic Islands. Or you can consult me too, I’m sure I’ll solve your question first.

I hope this detailed article meets your expectations. If there are specific areas where you would like me to go into more depth or any other adjustments, please let me know. I’m here to help you!

Did you find this information useful? Share it!


Some of my articles contain affiliate links. By purchasing your products at no extra cost from these links, you help me to keep the javiergomiz.com website alive and to continue offering the best information about drone photography and video. 

25 Responses

  1. Hola Javier! How are you?

    Thank you for your article! I do have a question though and maybe you can help me out!

    I’m planning on a canyoning trip to Mallorca in the last week of December and I want to fly with my drone during those activities. All the canyons are in the protected naturel area on the northwest side of the island.
    I do have my A1-A3 license and my drone (DJI mini 3) is registered by the EASA (or the Dutch/European equivalent). My question is; do I need permission for a drone below 250 grams to fly in those areas, cause I can’t find anything about that online, and if I need permission, how do I apply for that?

    Looking forward to your answer!

    Hasta luego,

    Wietse Walinga

  2. Hi, Wietse,
    First of all, thanks to express your comment through here.

    And, answering your question: you can fly a drone in towns and villages in Mallorca if you have a drone under 250 grams, as long as you don’t fly higher than 20 meters, but you DO need a permit to fly a drone in a protected natural area, at least in Mallorca, regardless of weight of your drone.

    First of all, as I said at the beginning of my article, you need to check ENAIRE DRONES’s website.
    Write the place where the activity will be released and depending on the area, you might have different warnings:

  3. Flights in prohibited areas (P)
  4. Restricted areas (R)
  5. Dangerous areas (D)
  6. Sensitive wildlife areas (F)
  7. Photographic flight restricted areas (PFRZ)
  8. Drone flights near airports, airfields and heliports
  9. Birds protection special area
  10. Check the place or let me know exactly the point where you want to fly and I’ll be able to provide you a better accurate help.
    I’ll be happy to help you out.
    Thanks, again, to take Mallorca’s wildlife into consideration and respect when asking for help and wanting to fly under the law.


    1. Hi Javier,

      Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it!

      I checked the ENAIRES Drone website and I have drawn the canyons in a map and put the map from ENAIRES on top of it. You can see it via this link: https://postimg.cc/crRBMXHy

      As I can see, all of them are in either one or multiple restricted area’s and it states that I should contact the local goverment (?) Illes Balears and Air Staff (CECAF). Is there a way how to do that as a foreigner? How do I apply for a permit?

      This is the list of canyons we’re going to explore:
      -Gorg Blau i Sa Fosca
      -Na Mora

      More info on the exact locations of the canyons, you can find here https://www.descente-canyon.com/canyoning/lieu/02098/Islas-Baleares.html

      Thank you once again,


      1. Hi Wietse,

        I’ve checking all the locations and the restrictions that you’ll see on Enaire map:

      2. CECAF (yellow rectangle) corresponds to a photographic flight restricted area, it means you can fly but wihtout taking, neither photos nor videos. To get permit to fly and the instructions to know how to proceed, you must contact to Spanish Ministry of the Interior to this email and cecaf@ea.mde.es
      3. MITECO (Espacios Naturales Protegidos) corresponds to Protected Natural Area. For contacting them you should email them to autoritzacions@dgmambie.caib.es. Keep in mind it takes a while for them to give you the permit. No less than a month, so contact them in advance.
      4. MITECO (ZEPA) corresponds to Birds Protection Special Area. To get the permit fullfill this document and follow the instructions to send it properly https://www.caib.es/sites/proteccioespecies/f/366817
      5. These are the 3 assumptions you’ll find, indistinctly, for all the locations you have told me about. For CECAF and Espacios Naturales Protegidos, you’ll have to apply with one request per site. ZEPA is enough just once.
        Now you have the ways to contact them, hopefully you’be able to get them.

        Good luck and let me know if you need more help.


        1. Hi Javier,

          Thank you one more time for the information. I’ve sent email with required documents to the 3 organisations. From CECAF i’ve got a reply that they’ll take care of it in the next 10 business days, which is fine.

          From MITECO (Espacios Naturales Protegidos) I got this reply. I guess the first link is for the canyoning activity and the second one to hand in several documents electronically. But what documents do I need to upload?

          Dispone información de cómo solicitar autorización para realizar actividades en espacios naturales protegidos de las Illes Balears en la siguiente página web:


          Disponemos de un trámite telemático para realizar la solicitud y para presentar los documentos necesarios:


          La documentación que debe presentarse es la siguiente:
          – Copia del DNI, CIF,
          – Memoria explicativa de la actividad
          – Solicitud firmada

          Cheers, Wietse

          1. Hi Wietse,
            You almost got it!

            For all kind of drone activities in “espacios naturales protegidos” go to the following link: https://www.caib.es/sites/espaisnaturalsprotegits/es/com_sollicitar_una_autoritzacio-22089/ –> You need to fulfill this 2 documents (Modelo declaración buenas prácticas.pdf
            Modelo solicitud autorización actividades en los espacios naturales protegidos.pdf).
            Then take this 2 documents already fulfilled + your ID + your flight plan, this is “Memoria explicativa de la actividad” (my advice for this is: go to GOOGLE EARTH and do a screenshot of the location with geo-coordenates)

            And the second link you told me (https://www.caib.es/seucaib/es/tramites/tramite/2876094) is to send all these files. Kinda register way

            For canyoning activity you must fulfill this: https://www.caib.es/sistrafront/sistrafront/inicio?language=es&modelo=MA0004ENBBAR&version=1, I dind’t know you need to register a canyoning activity though.

            Everything should be alright then.



  11. Hi Javier,

    Thank you! Everything is very clear now! I got the right forms filled in. I even got the permission from CECAF today! Which is really quick I Think. So thank you for your help!

    I do have one problem though, which I can’t figure out. I need to upload the files via the button”Acceso al trámite telemático”, but then I need to log in with Cl@ve. I don’t have that, as I’m dutch. And as far as I can see, I can’t register without an DNI/NIE, which I also don’t have.

    Do you have any idea or tips on how to get through that system?


  12. Hi Wietse,
    I’m happy you could do it with CECAF, yes, they are very fast, they work very good.

    After checking it, I noticed you cannot register documents through that way because it’s just for balearics citizens, that’s why you are asked for ClavePin. Never mind.
    Try this general register way:

    1. Click here https://reg.redsara.es/#login
    2. Choose UE citizen
    3. Choose your country and you should be able to go through the register

    Hope it’ll be fine now.
    Let me know.



  13. Hello Javier.

    1 -have you ever applied for and received any permission to fly?
    2 – Mirador de el colomer. it’s probably in a military zone. There is only a phone number in the app. Try to call for permission? is there any form also and email address for them?

    1. Hi Leezek,

      Thanks for contacting me.
      Yes, I’ve got several permissions from this Military Aerodrome. They are cool in terms of granting flying permits.
      Write them an email adress letting them know your purpose with this form fullfilled and attached. Send it to this email adress.

      Don’t forget to unblock the GEO zone in the DJI app too, otherwise your drone won’t move up.

      Thanks for respecting and worrying about flying legally in Mallorca


  14. Looking to flying at formentor and col femenia and sol colobra I have a DJI mini 2se and a European permit I see these areas are in a protected zone who should I contact for permission to fly it will be be recreational and around 9 mins each area of people in my cycling group

    1. Hi Chris, thanks for your comment.

      The answer of your question is in the conversation I had in comments with another user called Wietse.
      Read it and check your answer is there! Let me know if not, and if you have further questions.

      If you are interested in the world of drones and want to keep up to date on developments, news and regulatory changes I invite you to subscribe to my newsletter.



  15. Hi Javier,
    Do you know if it is possible to request authorization to fly if the drone and pilot are licensed outside of the EU? I have a registered drone (> 250g) and a Canadian license.

    Thanks in advance for your advice.


    1. Hi Kristian,

      As far as I read this EASA’s article about Non-EU residents and plan to visit and operate a drone in an EASA Member State, I think it will be a bit complicated, but not impossible:
      “If you are a resident of a non-EASA Member State and plan to visit and operate a drone in an EASA Member State, you need to register as a drone operator with the National Aviation Authority of the first EASA state you intend to operate from.

      Once you are registered in your host EASA Member State, this will be valid across the rest of EASA Member States. You don’t need to register in another EASA Member State again.

      You also need to train and pass the drone pilot’s certificate online exam and get the European certificate in any EASA Member State. Some National Aviation Authorities offer the training and exam in English.
      And of course, you need to comply with the European Drone regulations.”

      1. Here is the link to get the instructions to register as a drone operator, honestly, I don’t for Non-EU residents how it will go, try it!.
      2. If you could register as a drone operator, next step: here is the link to subscribe to do the train and get the drone pilot’s certificate online exam and get the European certificate which you need to have since you are and Non-EU residents.

      If you have further questions, you can contact AESA and EASA

      Anyway, I contacted and asked them for you. If I get any other answer that I gave you so far, I’ll refresh this answer and let you know. And if you find out how to solve this, I’d appreciate you let me know through here so we can help other users out.

      If you are interested in the world of drones and want to keep up to date on new developments, news and regulatory changes I invite you to subscribe to my newsletter



  16. Hello,
    I found your email address whilst searching for help in determining where I could legally fly my <250 gms. DJI Mini 3 Pro. On the Island of Mallorca.
    I have, I believe all the correct documents required. EASA Operator registration + proof of completed online training in the A1/A3 open sub category. Also liability insurance with Coverdrone.
    I wish to know if I can fly legally in the area I will be staying, which is Santa Ponca?
    Using Dronecast mapping It looked like I would be just west of the airport NFZ. However I have just learned I need to use Enaires mapping. On checking this map it appears there is another restriction which covers part of the airport zone & the area I will be staying in. However further west looks like I should be ok to fly.
    Can you advise on the restriction area which is overlaid on Santa Ponca? I am only wishing to fly as a recreation flyer. Do I need to obtain permission to fly in this area. If so how do I apply & to which authority?
    I also note there are many areas close to my vacation hotel which are restricted due to birds & national parks. As I like walking, as well as flying my drone. My question is as above, do I need permission & if so how to request it. The last thing I would wish to do is not follow ALL the rules & guidance for safe & legal flying of my drone.
    Any advise you can offer me would be much appreciated.


    David Small.

    1. Hi David,

      Thanks for writing your question through this blog.
      Yes, in Spain the most validapp to know where to fly legally is ENAIRE DRONES, only that.
      I recommend you to read this article too.
      In Santa Ponça area I can see 3 types of restrictions for drone flying:

      “Yellow rectangle”: Areas restricted to photographic flight. To get the flight permission you must contact to this email. They’ll give you intructions to follow.

      “Red area”: It’s a controlled traffic region. It’s the aviation security zone at Palma airport. It’s a critic zone, where to get the permits you will need a lot of paperwork. You should forget about flying in this area since you told you just have A1/A3 license.

      Recreational activities are not allowed in controlled airspace (CTR) and FIZ zones, and will only be possible from infrastructures designed for UAS flight, and whose manager has coordinated the conditions with the air traffic service provider (ATS).

      To flight here you would need:

      The conduct of operations in this area is subject to a number of requirements:

    2. Equipment and training. According to article 33.1.e of RD 1036/2017, it is necessary to have radio equipment (walkie-talkie) that allows two-way communication with the aeronautical stations (control tower). It is also compulsory to have a radio operator’s certificate with which to accredit the knowledge to establish this communication correctly. I have the Yaesu FTA-450L, and it’s a real blast.

      Coordinated aeronautical safety study (EAS) and coordination of operations with the Air Traffic Service Provider (ATSP). These types of operations require a specific operational risk assessment and mitigation (EARO) coordinated with the ATSP as a means of clarifying the safety of the operation to be conducted. An EARO validated by the ATSP is evidence of coordination of an EAS.

    3. I will write about this in future articles.
      ATS (air traffic services) flight plan and ATC clearance or communication to AFIS (aerodrome flight information) personnel. To comply with RD 1180/2018 UAS operations in controlled airspace and/or FIZ must:
      Submit a flight plan (specific guidance) for ATS (FPL message). It should be indicated that it is an unmanned flight.
      Obtain prior authorisation from the ATS or communication to AFIS of the flights to be performed.

      “violet area with a blue stroke”: It’s an Environmental zone. The overflight of natural areas will always be under the authorisation of the manager of the protected area, always complying with the established restrictions and legislation.

      In the ENAIRE DRONES map, these areas are reflected in the layers “protected natural areas” and “special protection areas for birds”.

      To get the permit download this document and send it to especies@dgmedinatural.caib.es

      I hope I could help you out with your issue and you’ll be able to fly in Mallorca.

      Let me know if you need more info.

      If you want to be updated with all related to drones world I suggest you to subscribe to my newsletter.



      1. Hi Javier,
        Many thanks for your very detailed answer to my “guidance” question.
        Can I trouble you with a request for a little more detail?
        As I am very new to drone flying & I will be 79 years old tomorrow, I must point out that I am not the quickest when finding my way around the internet.
        As with the UK regulations, Spain’s airports are NFZ’s. So I have no intention of flying within those areas.

        The restricted zone which covers Santa Ponca is a photography restricted area. Reading through your blog my understanding of this zone requires permission to fly & take photos/videos. Am I correct in thinking that flying is ok providing I don’t use the camera at all? ( I could gain more practice with flight control whilst staying below 20 mtrs.? )

        The restricted zone ends a few hundred yards to the West of the hotel I will be staying at. This area suggests there are no restrictions in or around the towns. Am I correct in thinking this area is a safe place in which to fly? Providing of course I observe the general rules in the open category.

        The forms you have mentioned are of course in Spanish. I am trying to translate them in to English. Which is proving difficult for me. So I will have to ask friends for help in this matter.



        1. Hello Javier, Further to my last message. I did email cecaf earlier, the response was that I should refer to an attached document. However there was no attachment just a footnote which in Spanish which read as follows:-

          Thank you for your question. This
          Centre is responsible for the subjects published in the AIC 05/20 (AIP SPAIN), hereby attached. For other matters, please contact ENAIRE.
          Best regards.
          —–Mensaje original—
          De: Dave Small
          Enviado el: martes, 27 de febrero de
          2024 23:47
          Para: CECAF
          Asunto: Drone flying.
          ATENCIÓN: Este mensaje proviene de fuera del Ministerio de Defensa. Por favor, no pulse en enlaces ni abra archivos adjuntos a menos que reconozca al remitente y sepa que el contenido es seguro.

          I think the last paragraph was about following links?
          So they did not seem to direct me to a form to apply for permission. Would that be because they don’t give permission to recreational flyers?

          I have as yet to try to obtain permission for National parks & protected bird zones.


        2. Hi David,

          It’s correct, you can fly in this photographic flight restricted area as long as you don’t take any picture and video, and always providing the general rules in the open category.

          Watch the translation of the document here



          1. Hello again Javier,
            I have been struggling with the form for flying in a restricted photography area.
            1. Is it unlikely that permission will be given to me to take videos/photos?
            2. I assume I have to request permission, even just to do a few basic flights for practice purposes?
            3. If the answer to the above is YES, can you please offer help in filling out the form?

            Apart from my personal details the remaining questions I find hard to think what to enter. E.G. I will not know my take off locations until I arrive there in May ’24. Or how to find the 1/2500 map & the required details, is it just the sheet No required? (Sheet 0698-3?).

            Would it perhaps be easier for me to forget the area around my hotel location & travel Westerly for a few hundred meters into the grey area for “free flying”? this area must surely have a few places with scenic views & walks?

            I will look at the locations of protected areas in that region in a day or so. then decide if I need to apply for authority to fly within those areas.

            I will take your advice on the actions I should follow.



            1. Hi David,

              Answering your questions orderly:

              1. I don’t see why you wouldn’t be given the permission since you told me you have an operator registration + proof of completed online training in the A1/A3 open sub category.
              2. The photographic flight restricted area (ZRVF) permit is just required for pilots who want to take photos and film, so if you just want to fly you don’t need to aply for it.

              Another option if you don’t know the area where you will fly, it’s when you come to Mallorca, use ENAIRE DRONES on your phone and check where you are and move to the “grey area” and fly.

              Hope I could help you, David.


  17. Hi Javier. Thank your for this helpful article.

    Can you describe purpose of circular zones in southern Mallorca with description:
    “ALERTA: Se encuentra en el área de seguridad de una actividad de Ultraligero. ”

    They are marked red but without information that flight with a drone is forbidden or restricted somehow. What’s “una actividad de Ultraligero”? Can you elaborate about it?

    1. Hi Jarek,

      This is an area where ultralight planes fly, so to get a flight permit you must call those phone number which appear when pressing the area you want to fly in ENAIRE map, in the warning square at the left, and coordinate your drone flight with this aerodrome in order to avoid any accident.

      I hope I could help you.



      1. Thanks. Hard to call anybody for Son Alberti (Llucmajor) zone as there is no phone number. But ok, I understand.

        The most biggest problem is probably the bird protection ZEPA areas as they are almost everywhere. And it seems non-commercial flights are prohibited regardless of the birds’ breeding periods.

        I see
        2.1. Procedure for flights for recreational purposes
        The flight for personal use with recreational purposes of drones is prohibited in the ZEPA spaces managed by the General Administration of the State

        1. Hi Jarmal,

          You are right, flying drones for personal recreational use is prohibited in ZEPA areas managed by the General State Administration and “regardless of the birds’ breeding period” as you said. I don’t understand either that but these are the rules here in Mallorca.

          Here are the phone number to contact the aerodrome:
          Contacto: TEL: +34-629 415 605;TEL: +34-971 242 626;TEL: +34-971 271 210

          The most difficult thing is the ZEPA area though.


Me interesa tu opinión

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  He leído y acepto la política de privacidad

Table of contents
Abrir chat
Hola! 👋🏼
Whatsapp solo para solicitar presupuestos y trabajos con drones 😃👍🏼

Si tienes alguna duda sobre drones, por favor, házmela llegar a través de un comentario en el blog de mi web (https://javiergomiz.com), en el artículo que te haya generado la duda.

Tu comentario ayudará al resto de usuarios 😛

Un saludo!